Life + Simplicity: Why Give a Damn What Others Think About You

It's only human that we care what others think of us. On a certain level it's good for us to care about what other people think so that we're not rude or offending someone without realizing it. You can probably picture that person right now - they would show up to school without showering or to work without a proper suit on, and on some days when you've just about had it with people it seems like an excellent mentality to have, until you realize that they have no friends or have a hard time finding a job.

But I dread thinking back to high school and early college when almost everything I did was dictated by how "cool" or "nonchalant" it would look. I began to drain myself of individualism and became so self-conscious that I felt like I was never satisfied or got a chance to explore the things that I like.

Until one weekend my freshman year of college. That weekend I was visiting my cousin and decided that I wanted a hair cut, so I began flipping through Pinterest and saw the girl with the short hair and thought how she looked so confident and suave and how I wanted to be just like that.

So I did it.

The Monday back at school, I was walking around campus with a fresh pixie haircut, strutting skinny jeans and navy blue wedges with a pink-and-blue-striped flowing shirt. That morning I looked at myself in the mirror and thought, "This is what I like." But as soon as I walked out the door I found myself slouching and doubting this bold look.


Me trying to take artsy selfies

What if I look like I'm trying too hard? What if I don't look as good as I thought? Do I have the body to pull this off?

But guess what? So many people complimented me and so many people admired me for cutting my hair so short! Suddenly I was the one people wanted to be like. And after that, my haircut was daily proof that I could be whoever I wanted to be.

A weight was lifted off my shoulders. No longer did I have to worry about what others thought of me, and it simplified my life. I didn't have to debate for half an hour in the store whether I wanted to buy that red strap-y dress, or try to hide the fact that I like to buy recycled paper towels instead of the extra thick ones that destroy the environment, or even be embarrassed to go out to brunch by myself because I really wanted brunch and couldn't find anyone to go with that weekend (plus, I can have as many coffee refills as I want without anyone judging my well-being). Being able to call myself a minimalist reminds me that I don't have to carry around the worry, especially if it keeps me from living the life I want.

The strap-y red dress. I know, I'm glad I got it too ☺ 

As I write about how I can comfortably live life without worrying about what others think of me, I just wish I could go back in time and tell my middle-school self that none of it really matters - the brand-name clothing, the parties, which clique you're supposed to belong to - because in the end everyone is trying to find their own way, and in the end everyone else applauds you by the time you finally figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment